Tuesday, June 16, 2009

10th Annual Body Rock Dance Competition

I don't even know where to begin... Its been a long exhausting but eventful Body Rock weekend! Thank you to the thousands in attendance, hundreds of performers, and the many staff members that contributed in making this another successful event. Of course putting on a show involving thousands of people is going to be chaotic, but I love the stress and pressure because in the end its so worth it. Seeing everyone come together, including people from Germany and Australia, for the love of dance is amazing! Thanks everyone for making Body Rock the best Hip-Hop dance competitions. Its only going to get better! We've had to overcome lots of adversity this year, but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Special thanks to Anna Sarao and Arthetta Walton who've been such influential individuals in our dance scene and the driving force behind Body Rock/Busta Groove for the past 10 years. I'm thankful for the opportunity you've given me to be apart of such an amazing event. I know this year has been absolutely hectic but in the end everything worked itself out. I love you guys!

CLICK HERE to see pictures from the weekend.

Here's a photo of our core staff from our last meeting before the show...
The day started off at 8AM, which isn't fun especially since I slept at 4AM. Good thing I brought my sleeping bag with me... HAHA!
It started getting crazy once teams started check in because it was a new venue and everyone was still adjusting. Hi FORMALity!
Miguel (UnityLA/KM Legacy) came through surprisingly in crutches and a cast on his left leg, but he still made a grand entrance! HAHA
I sat next to Miguel during KM Legacy's tech rehearsal as he directed them with a mini bullhorn! Wish I would have taken a picture of that, but check out the stage. You would never guess that this was a church...
The Rock was on point with their production and technology, all the teams were able to watch the show in HD backstage!
Every year Body Rock has a preshow, which includes dance performances, 1 on 1 all styles and 3 on 3 bboy battles. I hosted the preshow in front of a few hundred people. Little Saigon definitely put on an entertaining battle! Props out to Jet Li the 1 on 1 champion! Thanks to Des and Porky (Magec) for organizing the event.
We had teams from all over come through for Body Rock including SF's very own Project EM.
I was running around like a madman the entire show, but I got a chance to see some of the Wildboyz who came out to support. Thanks to Kimtan x Alvinism x Randy (Rad)
Lydia x JP = Boxcuttahz
Congrats to 3rd: Kaba Modern, 2nd: The Company, and 1st: Choreo Cookies!
We had to cut intermission due to time constraints. We had to clear the building by 10PM so we had to keep the awards ceremony as short as possible and immediately started directing people out. Organized chaos is what I like to call it!
I didn't get a chance to take pictures with many of the teams, but I got one of Aggie (The Company) and I!
Thanks to all the vendors that were there: Armory, Fizix, Pony, JewleRIA, and others... Much love to Randy and the rest of the Rad family for coming out as well!
It was such a stressful day, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I wish I had more time to catch up with people but I'm just happy to see everyone. Shows like this make me miss dancing and performing, but I'm just glad to still be apart of the scene. Thanks again to all the teams, espeically Who Cares? (Germany) and DVP (Australia) who came out from across the globe.

Finally... Its time to head to Sway again for the Body Rock After Party! Shit was WILD!!!

To be continued...

0 comments: